Pre 64 Model 70 Receiver and Bolt

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm
All, I have a question that has been nagging me for quite some time. First off it has been my understanding the Model 70 (Pre 64) receivers (Winchester - of course) and bolts were "mated" at the factory. However, recently I have seen several Pre 64 Model 70 receivers listed on Gunbroker.com. I find it very surprising that anyone would sell a receiver without a bolt (It's matching bolt no less).

So, here is my question. Can a model 70 receiver have a non original (replacement) bolt installed? I am considering having a custom rifle built some time in the future and have considered buying just a receiver to start with. BUT these that I have seen are of no value to me if the bolt is NOT in place. Additionally, there is no trigger and all the associated parts. Just a bare receiver.

I recently asked the same question on another BB and have received a good answer. However, since this BB is Winchester related I am thinking I MAY have a more complete answer.

So, what is the "TRUTH"? I stand ready and waiting for THE answer.
NRA Life Benefactor Member, Ham Radio (K7CCA)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:37 pm
Can't help you with your question, but I'm sure others here will know...stay tuned.

Curious as to what answer the other BB presented...care to elaborate !?

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 pm
Shooter13,

First answer was - you just adjust headspace when putting a new barrel back on. No problem at all.... it all depends on how far the chamber reamer goes into the barrel. Same checks (headspace gages) that the factory uses.

Next answer was - I'm fairly certain that ALL Win 70 bolts are matched to their receivers at the factory, in fact this can probably be said about any rifle of any brand.

So, I was hoping a Winchester Factory person might chine in here with the "real" story. An alternative to that is a "real" good gunsmith (read that as a VERY knowledgeable rifle smith) to also add info here. I will wait and see. ;)
NRA Life Benefactor Member, Ham Radio (K7CCA)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:02 pm
Copy that...thanks !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:17 am
Win 70 Fan wrote:Shooter13,

First answer was - you just adjust headspace when putting a new barrel back on. No problem at all.... it all depends on how far the chamber reamer goes into the barrel. Same checks (headspace gages) that the factory uses.

Next answer was - I'm fairly certain that ALL Win 70 bolts are matched to their receivers at the factory, in fact this can probably be said about any rifle of any brand.

So, I was hoping a Winchester Factory person might chine in here with the "real" story. An alternative to that is a "real" good gunsmith (read that as a VERY knowledgeable rifle smith) to also add info here. I will wait and see. ;)

I'd have to agree 100% with those comments.. due to small differences in machining during manufacturing, the head space can be quite different on two identical rifles, bolts should not be interchanged between rifles without checking and adjusting headspace as necessary. But a good smith can easily adjust this for you, sometimes by swapping bolt heads for one that provides the proper head space.. Its worked for me in the past on lee enfields..

Return to Winchester Model 70