Winchester Model 70 300WSM Mfg 2001-new to me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:01 pm
Last week I bought a Winchester Model 70 that was made in 2001 from a guy North of Pittsburgh that had it sitting in his gun safe since not long after he bought it. The rifle is immaculate. I started into getting all the accessories for it to hunt. I had thought about a regular 300 WM, but being that I live and hunt in PA, I can certainly made good use of the shorter WSM. When I saw the condition of this rifle, I bought it.

Looking inside the chamber, it looked like a brand new rifle. I know that this Model 70 Classic was made in 2001 and it was made when Winchester still had employees before they shut down the New Haven plant (2006) So I went about getting this rifle set up.

I bought a Leupold VX-3 4.5 - 12 40mm Adj Objective & Parallax. Today, a black leather Winchester logo sling arrived.

I already have a hard case for it, so as soon as the weather dries up, I'm off to the Range.

Cheers!

Mike T.
Last edited by miket156 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20g
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:05 pm
Nice safe find Mike. Looking forward to your first range report.

Jim
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:10 pm
Thanks Jim. I hope to get out this week to the Range, if the weather cooperates!

Cheers!

Mike T.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:10 pm
Looks real nice Mike !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:23 pm
Thanks Shooter13!

I was out in the woods before Deer season Scouting. I was looking for areas where deer bed down, can find water and cover, and maybe food. I saw a 4 point at the edge of the field heading back into the woods ahead. I was carrying my Marlin 35 REM and a side arm. I'd say that deer was around 180 to 190 yards away. Just a little to far for me, if I was hunting and looking to take a shot. As much as I love my Lever guns, I decided right there that I had to invest in a longer range rifle. I didn't see anything I wanted to buy until this past week. But I am happy with this Model 70, she's a beauty. I hope to get out to the Range this week.

Cheers!

Mike T.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:38 pm
I got deer bedding down in my backyard...three to be exact.

No shoot situation...for now !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:04 pm
Maybe your backyard is a safe haven for them, right now, How many times have we seen animals that hang around when Hunting season is closed for the year, only to find they take off for parts unknown once the shooting starts!

Cheers!

Mike T.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:58 pm
Got that right Mike...happens all the time !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:43 pm
I went to the Range yesterday. First nice day in almost 3 months. Bright and Sunny, temps in the low 40s. I set up a 100 yard target, went back to the bench, pulled the bolt. I sighted the target down the bore with my chin against the butt plate, then looked through the scope. The cross hairs were about 2" to the right of the Bullseye. So I turned the turret to the left and lined it up. I set the obective to 300 yards, and took 3 shots. I walked down to the target and my shots were 4 to 5 inches above the bull. My groups need to be tighter, but the shots were right where the tech told me they should be at that setting.

I am one happy camper. Great scope, it makes it easy. My shooting is the weak link in the system.

We got snow today so I will have to wait until next week for a warm day to get back to the range. I will shoot some 200 yard targets and see how it goes.

I can tell you that this is the best system I ever had. As much as I love my Lever Guns, I bought the Model 70 and scope combination for longer range shots.

I thought the recoil would be worse, but it is not terrible. My 45-70's are what I would call RECOIL.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Return to Winchester Model 70