THE ONE PRE 64 MODEL 70 BOOK..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:17 am
The Internet can provide much information concerning the 'collectible' pre '64 model 70.

Exemplary is "Collecting Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Rifles - By Wayne R. Miller"

Yet I wanted to provide a short book list on the subject and here the very good news.

ESSENTIALLY A SINGLE BOOK about does it all. Titled "The Rifleman's Rifle", by Roger Rule. this single publication is the seminal work on the subject. There are few gun books about which such a recommendation can be made. Something of a 'one stop' that covers about everything of this rifle genre. This is a detailed ‘tech’ book, not just lazy afternoon reading with a beer. (Or maybe tech with a beer.) It’s a continual reference book and well-illustrated at that! What more to recommend. For the 70 evolution through tech specs’ it has it all.

Well, of course, there has to be at least a small downside. It’s a bit pricy!. I just checked Amazon and it’s about $94, but other listed vendors there are offering it new in the $60ies. Further, as far as I know it’s not a matter of the typical “bigger, better, updated, expanded” on the basic material. (There is allegedly a new publication of it which includes the Post 63 models too.)

Next, all said, there was an earlier work by Dean Whitaker on the same subject. I have both books and in comparison, the Rule book, pun noted, takes the field. The Whitaker book is sort of a ‘nice to have’ yet adds noting substantial, is relatively rare and priced higher that the Rule book.

The net, net here is whether your interest is sufficient, consider acquiring the Rule book! If buying it isn't in your ‘Rule book’, check out the possibility of an Inter-Library loan; likely a few bucks postage for a couple of weeks enjoyable exploration... and take notes!

OK, you say, but what about the Model 70 predecessor, the Model 54? Well... the Rule book above does have a very good chapter on the Model 54. That aside, there's a great Website by the same Wayne miller referenced in the above Internet reference: "Long Live The Model 54 Winchester", by Wayne R. Miller

‘Nuff said' and…My take
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:52 pm
Thanks for the input...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 am
Yes, good information. That book would be a great reference, but the cost is YIKES! I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on the Internet. Some folks that own the "Blue Book" provide collectors values and current values on other firearms on other firearms and collectors websites. At least on one occasion I was able to get an estimate on a Remington Model 798 Chambered in 458 with a 24" barrel, with a genuine Mauser Action that was made for only 4 years under contract by an arms maker in Serbia. That rifle featured a K98 action and the furniture was absolutely gorgeous! I went to an Estate Auction where one was for sale knowing the approximate value. I found it interesting that two people ran up the auction price to $950 in record time. The Blue Book value was around $500 to $600. As is the case with all collectables at Auctions, the value is as high as people are willing to pay. At that price, I didn't bid.

This might not be a bad topic to keep rolling in hopes of getting access to the above book. Of course, there is always Gunbroker.com

Cheers!

Mike T.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:26 pm
I definitely agree about Roger Rules book it covers the subject as well as any reference book can. Don't try to find a first addition the later second addition is much cheaper and actually has a little more info. I looked for a long time for the Whitaker book and finally ended up with an autographed one that was beyond yikes in price but considering the price of collector quality pre 64 model 70s it wasn't that bad. I haven't come across the Miller book really can't comment on it. If you are thinking about purchasing a quality pre 64 either do a lot of reading or buy it from someone you can trust. There are simply too many fakes and modified rifles that are worth far less the a true originals.
'
'
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:32 pm
Welcome back to the Winchester Owners Forum Oger !!

Return to Winchester Model 70