Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:55 pm
Recently I bought a Model 70 Ultimate Shadow Stainless Steel rifle and fitted it up with a Nikon Pro Staff 5 2.5 x 10 X scope. I had planned on fitting it to a custom stock. I have two Boyd black laminate stocks for it now and developed two wood stocks in lightweight(no cheek piece) highly grained and nicely hand checkered stocks. All together I got a very good look at a the new Model 70s to compare to the about a dozen I have owned. This new rifle shoots very tight groups and is nicely balanced. If anyone is interested I have a number of high res photos. Right now I am working on a Black laminate that will have pretty close to the really nice lines and dimensions etc. of the company stock. The length of pull on this .243 Winchester is 13.5 and all the custom stocks are built to the same LOP. The price i paid for the new rifle was modest and impressive from the buyer's standpoint. All the custom stock stuff was driven by all the wood working gear we have and interest in gun stocks.
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:49 am
Post up a few photos for the membership...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:23 am
For some reason currently I cannot lower the resolution on my JPEGS. Hi res JPEGs cannot download on this site. Too bad but I will try to get on another machine and try to get these photos downsized.
20g
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:41 am
Davey, I use a very good FREE photo manager that will resize, crop and scan from your printer.

http://faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:45 am
OR...try here: FREE & EASY

http://www.photobucket.com

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 am
I have Adobe Photoshop 7 (old) on my old Mac which I use for Internet. All of my new Macs which I use for only slideshows have no reduction or photo manipulation tools...So I will try these tools you recommend. Photos Hi Res take up tons of computer space and videos are the biggest space cruncher problem I have....
I will get these photos on this Winchester Forum ASAP!
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:59 am
Sounds like a plan DaveyJ....!!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:18 pm
For some reason Photo Bucket could not access my JPEG high res photos....Now I will have to try another computer.......

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:32 pm
I do know this stainless steel barrel and action new model 70 Ultimate Shadow rifle in .243 Winchester is an amazingly accurate rifle. Every cartridge that I have fired in the rifle has been MOA accuracy and I have fired some groups that were super tight. The Nikon Prostaff V 2.5-10 scope is excellent and this rifle will be my go to rifle for almost everything in the near future.

I have four stocks for this rifle now from the awesome WInchester Ultimate Shadow stock to a couple of Boyd "pepper" laminate that many refer to as Black Laminate. Those stocks have cheek pieces an are somewhat heavier than stock and I have in for Boyd to make as close to the featherweight stock with no cheek piece in black laminate.

I also handbuilt a American Walnut featherweight style wood stock that I hand checkered and I am pretty fond of that stock that I hand rubbed on an oil finish. The Winchester stock stock though is very difficult to beat. All in all this is a winning combination in a price that I feel is an incredibly great value. I did look at the current camo stainless rifle and decided to pass on that. From what I can tell that stock though is just real tree camo over pretty much the same stock.I just was not drawn to the camo stock and found it easier to get the synthetic grey one and then decided that I really liked that one. I will post photos soon!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:06 pm
I hope this conveys the Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS. This is an extremely low resolution photo. The max file size on this forum is way below what I am used too!
Attachments
Ultimate Shadow .243.jpg
Ultimate Shadow .243.jpg (229.72 KiB) Viewed 9715 times

Return to Winchester Model 70