Hunting Wild Hogs with Winchester Rifles

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:30 am
Wild Hogs are increasing almost everywhere I know. I consider them more of a threat to farming and other animals that we treasure than almost anything I can think of. I however have NOT seen that many in the wild (thank goodness) and have not hunted them. My first choice to hunt them my self would be my new Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow .243. Any Winchester Forum members who have hunted wild hogs?
20g
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:23 am
There's a highway from my home to a town about twenty-fives distant. Until around 2000 there were feral hogs running open range on and along side of the highway. There were weekly vehicle to hog collisions, mainly after dark. I'm not sure what happened to their numbers, but I have not seen a single hog since.
Last edited by redryder on Sun May 17, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:32 am
I have hunted wild hogs in New York State...on a friends property in Vestal...but not with my Winchester 1894.

I used an AR15 with 62grain M855 with great effect...
20g
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm
Shooter, your method is more cost effective and less traumatic than involuntarily hunting on a highway in the dark using a vehicle.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:51 am
Wow! Shooter 13 posts about wild hogs in Vestal near our acreage in Broome County! We know there are none right now?? We keep a pretty close eye on the home farm and weekly there are cruises to see what is shaking. But Vestal is very close by! Any rifle like the AR 15 or any high powered rife would work and there is NO BETTER TARGET in my mind! MY MODEL 70 WOULD BE NO BETTER THAN AN AR 15 HERE IN A CASE YOU GOT TO FIRE AT MORE THAN ONE. I'd still take a Model 70 way over the AR 15 myself but that was my reaction when we were at war in Vietnam. I see a lot of AR 15s in some gun stores. And for multiple shots on the quick....it is a better rifle than the Model 70. Still I am a believer in bolt action accuracy. But any rifle is no better than the set up and ability of the user. Also I believe in the Second Amendment to a huge degree and both the AR 15 and Model 70 are very important to be in the hands of civilians! The SWAT teams are going to be out trying to lower an invasive species like wild hogs!

Return to Winchester Model 70