Taming a project Mod 70

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:25 pm
Long story folks. In 1978, I bought a 1952 version model 70. This gun was project for a gunsmith at the NRA school around 1972-3. The action was polished, bolt and floor plate jeweled, the trigger over hauled. The BIG deal is that it was re-chambered to .308 Norma Mag (30-06 factory stamp). The dang this is a beast on the bench but it does do terrible things to elk. I have worked up loads shooting 3/4 in at 100 with a 4X Weaver.

Do I:

One, re-barrel or

Two, have the thing shortened to remove the front sight, re-crowned and muzzle break installed? I won't tell what I paid for it but it wan't a lot. What is the wisdom of the group when the gun is less than original?
20g
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:55 pm
No wisdom from me Bootleather. Just a big welcome to the herd.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:21 pm
Thanks for the welcome. Wisdom comes in all shapes. Thanks for your service.
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:21 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Bootleather !!
20g
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:23 pm
Shooter, the traffic on this forum has really escalated in the past week. Membership approvals surely have improved.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:39 pm
For me it is that the drawings out West are taking place and I want to get going for next season. Sadly all of my draw results are negative to date. Trying to draw a Billy Goat has been difficult. The 308 Norma will be lethal when I finally get the tag. In the mean time......

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:06 pm
First, I’m really unclear with the significance of your options. It appears both #1 & #2 alternatives as you state them are to mitigate the effects of felt recoil.
If so there are other alternatives including simply a recoil pad if not equipped, or an improved recoil pad such as a “Limb Saver”. Another and perhaps better option is a new stock. The classic design of the Model 70 stock dates from 1936. In contemporary times, a bit less drop at the heel might help a lot in producing a desirable more linear recoil thrust. With a scope employed, likely an improvement in eye positioning too.
Your Model 70 identified as a 1952 vintage gun ‘should have’ a soldered on front sight. No need to cut/recrown per se unless some kind of esthetic thing or a barrel length consideration. Simpler just to remove the sight and work from there. A second factor is that your original 30-06 chambering would have necessitated a considerable action rework including bolt face, magazine assembly including follower and feed ramps. I do hope all that was done professionally! What you’ve ended up with is a fairly major alteration to achieve a net 1958 plus vintage short mag model 70 configuration. Now add all the conversion work presumably accomplished in the nineteen seventies and you have a relative conundrum. Why not just start with a short mag action? Better, why not just purchase and use one in such as 300 Win Mag? What advantage the Norma round? Even then it was largely considered a round largely made obsolete by the Win and Rem short mag offerings. Anything short of a labor of love (or perhaps you are suggesting something of a demonstration project) the logic and all that work performed in the seventies - they don’t easily compute.
As to a muzzle brake… The tradeoff even for an effective brake is increased muzzle flash and that some several fold at least. Then factor in a shorter barrel and it’s proportionately greater. Even handloading, with a 20” - 22” barrel range, your compromising that mag Norma round more than a bit.
It seems you’re a handloader. As such, probably the best and most economic application of the rifle is just to be happy with it ‘as is’. That or compute your minimum investment to ‘make it work’. Beyond that, perhaps just to sell it and buy something that works for you as-is.
Based on inference of your questions and certainly wishing you the best of luck…
Just my take.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:10 pm
If it were my rifle I would add a recoil pad if it doesn't have one and also get a PAST wearable recoil pad for bench work and not modify the barrel at all. I use one of these recoil shields for all bench work and can comfortably shoot 20 - 40 rounds of .300 Winchester Magnum or .325 W.S.M 220 gr. loads. I don't use it for hunting though.
It is interesting that it is a .308 Norma though as the .300 Winchester had been out about 10 years by '73. It was much more common back in the '50s.
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 pm
Thanks to one and all. I have decided to leave it as is and use it till I'm done. The fact that the gun in no way is original... Lock Stock or Barrel gives value as a Mod 70 only to the action itself. It cycles flawlessly, shoots well, sports a winchester Monte Carlo stock and period Winchester pad. The smith basically configured it the way a Belted Mag gun would have come from the factory chambered in a caliber that he fancied. I remember going into his shop around 1972 and seeing winchester stocks literally by the dozens shoved into an empty oil barrels. He had factory blued barrels taped together in bunches leaning in the corner. There is no doubt he was an eccentric guy. Heck he had an old refrigerator packed with a few Super Grades , Low Wall target guns and LC Smith doubles when he died in mid 1979. Different times for sure.

Thanks,
Bootleather

Return to Winchester Model 70