Restoration of a post-war

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 pm
Afternoon Y'all.

So, a little backstory here before diving into the question.

A couple months ago, I came across a pair of barrels at a local gun show. The one I'm keying on in this thread is a Model 70 barrel. It's 24", made in 1948, chambered in 270, and has the original factory front sight. The rear sight was removed, and the dovetail plugged, though it looks easy to remove, should I go that direction with it. The rifling is what I'd call about 90%.

My plan is to restore the rifle almost to factory. You know, wood stock, open sights, the whole shebang. Which brings us to the point of the thread:

Where does one find a receiver/action for one of these things for less than the $800 my local gun shop wants? All I want is the receiver, really. I can find the rest of the stuff. I am curious though, if a newer receiver would fit the old girl? Or does it have to be from the same era? Anything and everything helps!

--TK
Winchester:
Because Winchester

"You want the shiny?
you gotta work your Hiney!" - - Jeff Williams

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:24 pm
Wellll... Trinity Kid! First the observation that your project sounds akin to purchasing a Mustang transmission and seeking to build a car around it! Wow! But next to answer your question. Any undamaged/unaltered Pre 64 Model 70 barrel really should (never say always) screw in and snug up to the same unaltered Pre 64 Model 70 receiver and that regardless of vintage. That doesn't imply correct headspace of course!
Caveats begin with being sure it's not a Mag receiver unless you are altering the chambering comparably. Caveat number two is the necessary assurance that your presently possessed barrel is itself stock BOTH externally and internally. Unfortunately not all 'messed with' barrels, such as rechambered/altered chamber ones are marked or otherwise identifiable. Be sure that the barrel is normal and worthy.
Next just the suggestion that I'd be seeking a complete comparable but worn/altered barrel (pre 64) Model 70. With patience finding one which has been ‘enthusiastically’ used or rechambered to such as a wildcat cartridge and then just swapping barrels might save some substantial dough.
I understand your thread says to ignore the parts other than receiver. But I just want to add that, absent most all the parts in hand (or free), your embarked project almost certainly doesn't seem cost effective. Such at day's end, you'll have a considerably greater investment in the gun than it will be worth. Also the collector value will likely be negligible unless everything 'fits' to apparent originality.
Nowadays in the marketplace the highest and best use of the pre 64 Model 70 is either in its original configuration if nice, or restoration to such if not too complex/expensive OR as the basis for a custom gun.
In all cases, good luck and...
My take.

Return to Winchester Model 70