"Cleaning Up" my Pre-64

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:37 pm
Hi all,

I've got a Pre-64 M70 in 30-06. I love it dearly and still use it hunting as my go-to hunting partner. It has always been a workhorse, and it shows. It is indeed in very good condition, but it is clear that it has been out in the elements has been used well in it's day.

The action and barrel are in excellent shape but weathered. Neither have any rust or corrosion but they do have some spots on it from where it has weathered. Honestly, I think it looks great this way as it looks like a legendary rifle, but if there is a way to clean up the pock marks and with out sacrificing the value I'd love to hear it.

The stock is of the matte/dull appearance vice the high gloss stained finish. What methods or options are there for restoring or cleaning it up, again, without risking the value?

Thanks in advance.
20g
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 am
If you continue using as an active hunting gun, the wood will not do well using ScratchX wax and buffing for gloss. I hesitate suggesting boiled warm Linseed oil as I use on my military wood. However, the Linseed oil will penetrate the wood and resist moister collecting in the grain. Requires several coats over several weeks with a ton of elbow grease buffing. As a working field piece, the metal can be protected with a silicon cloth wipe before and after each field event. Don't neglect the bore. Store in a dry place. This is about all you can do. Perhaps others have a better routine for you.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:22 am
I have refinished number of rifle stocks and have had good results using Watco Danish Oil. Before you begin you need to determine what is on the stock now. If just the old varnish then strip it with orange stripper per the instructions on the container. After the old finish is gone clean THOROUGHLY with water and let dry for several days. Cleaning will raise the grain so de-whisker the stock before proceeding. If you want to stain the stock do it now. I have had good success with stains from a company called Woodburst, a variety of shades are available and the can be mixed. They sell (or did) a sample pack that will let you try several shades.
After staining apply the Danish oil per the instructions. Once dry you can apply polyurethane (brush or wipe on, either works) in either gloss or satin.
This will give you a beautiful stock that is sealed against the elements and can be repaired easily if damaged.
If the stock has been oiled with either Linseed or Tung oil you may have to stick with them, as using the above method requires bare wood for the Danish Oil. The stain is a tung oil base and may work over the old oil if the stock cleaned with acetone and scotchbrite pads to cut the dry oil on the surface. I am leery of this as it can result in uneven staining and a splotchy stock. If the wood color is acceptable without staining after cleaning apply a first coat of boiled linseed oil (BLO) cut two parts BLO to one part mineral spirits. This will penetrate better than straight BLO and cure quicker. Most advice says wait 24 hours after the first coat but I have found 48 to 72 will guarantee the oil is cured. Then apply a light coat of BLO mixed 3 parts BLO to one part mineral spirits every 24 hours (or longer), rubbing it in with you palm until it feels warm. By light coats I mean the stock should look wet, wipe off the excess oil with a clean rag. At least two or three applications of the 3/1 mix are needed, and additional coats won't hurt. You can refresh the finish with additional coats as you see the need.
20g
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:48 am
Very good preservative narrative Rich. I no longer field my firearms. Thus, maintenance is easy. Wipe down when I feel the need to handle and place back in the rack. All firearms, including early family pieces, have gloss wood and nice clean metal. I prefer pre 64 for their dings and patina, indicating they were tools.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 70