Classics and Controlled Feed

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 pm
Introduced in 1992 but I'm confused because I'm seeing New Haven Classics with push feed as well. In particular, theres a 6.5x55 on an auction site that has a red pad and shnabel forend but with push feed. On another there's a 30-06 with controlled. Can anyone help me sort this out?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:44 pm
It can be confusing! By way of answer, I'd like to include a general background setting.

Pertaining to bolt action high power rifles, for over a half century "controlled round feed"(CRF) was the prevailing modern method of managing the transport of cartridges from the magazine to the chamber for firing. The US Springfield and Enfield model rifles employed it as did the Remington Model 30 which predated both the Winchester Model 54 and the Model 70. Push feed (PF) was around in various iterations but really came into its own with the introduction of the cost efficient Remington Models 721 & 722 in the late forties. Such as Winchester continued its classic iteration in the Model 70 until 1964. At that point production costs of a very nice rifle met the economic rubber of the road. IN that year, the ‘new & improved’ Model 70 became push feed.

There was an American CRF manufacturing hiatus from that point until the early nineties. Such although some foreign gun still came to our shores with the CRF feature. By 1992, Winchester had been produced by “US Repeating Arms” for a decade; an entity which licensed Winchester production rights. Finally at that time, the CRF was reintroduced, largely made practical it’s said by employment of CNC machines substituting for much hand labor operations of equipment. Such was partly in recognition of a continued public request and the fact of the “Pre 64” Model 70 having been elevated to some kind of mythical status. So… at that point, CRF and CF coexisted. You paid your money and took your choice. From that reintroduction, the CRF stuck. Yet there remained plenty of market for the CF models and CF models are not necessarily lesser guns at all. The fact, they do tend to be more accurate when measuring down in the so-called “half minute” or so accuracy measurements. Nowadays, under the helm of FN (from 2006) some very nice rifles of both breeds.

From 1964-67, Winchester went through some troubled waters in its that initial ‘new & improved’ designs across the model ranges. Minor engineering, finish and aesthetic problems. Worst was the firm’s marketing which was disconnected from reality and the firm lost credibility. By 1968, there were some definite improvements and a Model 70 (CF) rifle worthy of the Winchester name.

I have pre and post 64 iterations in both CRF and CF configurations. I acquired them because I liked both designs. Just to note that the CF has also evolved.

Well, more than you ever wanted to know, but that’s pretty much the story… and I’m sticking to it! :)
My take

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:54 am
Well said (better than I could write). My 70 is one of the first 1k of the post 64 made. I always wondered why it had rough edges...but still kills deer and bear.

Thanks for your time ..and the question

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:13 pm
Thanks for the info

Return to Winchester Model 70