Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:25 pm
I just recently purchased the above rifle in caliber 7mm-08. I selected that caliber because it was a excellent balance of ballistics, cost of new ammo, availability of ammo and tolerable recoil. I am an old guy and recoil does matter. I selected the Winchester knowing it is made in Portugal after having one that was made in USA in 1999. The quality of the Portugal Winchester fair exceeds my 1999 USA target model. After mounting a 4x12x40 AO Sightron on Talley mounts/rings I took it to the indoor 25 yard range. I understand that it is ludicrous to fire a rifle indoors at only 25 yards but the range is only 6.5 miles from my home as opposed to 96 miles to Angeles Range where you can shoot 600 yards. It took 5 shots to zero the rifle at 25 yards using a make shift support. Actually it is about .3 inches low at 25 yards which should get it on the bulls eye at 200 yds. I am pleased with the quality of the stock, barrel, action and bolt. The trigger is not great but, it is very good with no creep. I do not have the instruments or equipment to make any measurements of velocity or trigger pull. I just wanted a quality Winchester and hope to ring lots of steel plates at 300 to 600 yards without spending a whole bunch of money. I hope to take it to the High Desert gun club in Morongo Valley soon and blast those steel plates at 200 and 300 yards. This is a small club in the desert and close to my second home in La Quinta. I am completely satisfied with this rifle and would recommend it highly.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:51 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy the forum !!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:31 pm
Sounds like a keeper! Nothing like a good shooter. Post some pics of her when ya get a chance.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:04 pm
Let us know how it shoots when you get it to the outdoor range. I'm considering eventually buying that model in .270 Winchester.

Have fun!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:01 am
I have an Extreme Weather in 7wsm and it is extremely accurate so I am not surprised by your report. I think these are excellent rifles and a great value. Best of luck to you

Return to Winchester Model 70