A bit of quality time with my new Super Grade 338WM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:34 pm
No big story here, just happy to have finally gotten some GOOD quality time with my new Super Grade in 338 Win Mag..

I got it new a couple of years ago and struggled to get it to shoot well. I'm not talking minute of deer here, that would have been acceptable to me.. I tried alot of tricks in making my ammo with no results.

Turns out I had a bad scope... a scope that served time on a different rifle with no issues, but for some reason didn't agree with my 70.

So, last December I caught the Leupold VX1 on sale for $189 at my local general hardware store. It's a great little store that has a little bit of everything, locally owned and everything. I love shopping there..I picked up a new VX1 and got busy, procrastinated on making more ammo all summer long..

Well, made some ammo and went out to sight in today. This was one of the easiest times I have had sighting in a new scope. Every adjustment I made, the groups moved almost exactly as expected on paper. I was shooting from an improvised bench in the woods, and only at 50yds, but this was all I really needed to get as far as distance at this time. It laid down a nice 1" group repeatedly for me.. Granted, 2 MOA isn't what lays alot of peoples' hair back, but I am dead certain this group will tighten up when I go shoot from a more legitimate bench.

I'm just really happy with the choice I made to buy this rifle and so happy after a long frustrating journey that the new Leupold cured it! :)
Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Congratulations in your perseverance and getting on target with the new 338.

Enjoy and stay safe.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:42 am
Good to hear...thanks for sharing
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:55 am
It is amazing what one little thing can throw something off. As Red Ryder stated...perseverance pays off in the end. Glad to hear the good report!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:38 pm
I'm very much looking forward to seeing what this thing can do from a better bench at greater distances once the hunting season is done! It really is alot of fun to shoot, and not nearly as punishing as I was expecting. This is the most powerful centerfire rifle I have owned to date...

I know it is far from necessary for deer, And it didn't get this caliber because I felt I "needed" it. I just like something a bit different from the norm and when I decided to get this beautiful family heirloom rifle, I wanted to get it in a kick-butt cartridge. Believe it or not, I see reports from people who actually use that cartridge on deer reporting results that the 338WM actually causes LESS bloodshot damage to meat than more typical "deer" cartridges like 270 Win and similar. A little strategic bullet selection and I think it will do quite dandy for that application. I have chosen to run Hornady 225gr SST bullets loaded stout but not over published max. I see some unsatisfactory reviews with this bullet on elk with claims of poor penetration due to the bullets lighter construction compared to others in that caliber. I think that will be just about right for deer...

My "rainy day" rifle is a very basic Rem 700ADL synthetic in 270 Win. That darned thing is laser accurate and has put alot of meat in our freezer. Much lighter to carry than the SG too, but I haven't taken it out yet this year.. LOL!

Return to Winchester Model 70