Model 70 30-06 bolt won't close

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:30 pm
Greetings:

I'm hoping to find some help with a bolt problem on my 1968 vintage 30-06. I've owned this gun for more than 30 years and it has performed flawlessly for me (it's taken at least 60 white tails) until today. Went hunting for white tails (didn't see anything). Came home and unloaded the gun. Placed the safety in the intermediate position and opened the bolt. Removed the cartridge. Opened the floor plate and removed the cartridges. Closed the floor plate. Bolt won't close. Bolt isn't bound. It's loose in the casing, but won't move forward. Feels as though there is an obstruction. Somehow, the safety has found it's way into the "fire" position. Can't move the safety. Firing pin indicator is in the uncocked position. Bolt release won't move. Can't remove bolt. Can anyone offer some adult supervision? If I don't get this fixed, I'll have to finish the season with a Model 700 243 and something about that just doesn't seem right ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:37 pm
The bolt should be in the cocked position. It may take some doing, but you'll have to cock the bolt, this may require pulling the striker to the rear and rotating it into the cocked position. I've never had this happen with an M-70, but have done it several times with a Mauser 98 and a Remington 700. You may find help in a pair of padded vice grips for the chore. Maybe there's a youtube video...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 pm
Thanx very much. My son and I just figured it out. Got it cocked with an extra pair of hands. Also discovered that the magazine box had shifted ever so slightly causing the "obstruction" mentioned above. Not sure what's causing that, but we got the bolt out. Got it cocked and reinstalled and it seems to be fine. We'll do a more detailed inspection tomorrow, but it looks like I may get to finish the season with the trusty, tried and true after all. Thanx again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:47 pm
Good job, and good hunting tomorrow!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:06 am
Glad you solved the problem...

Return to Winchester Model 70