Ideas on how to lighten my M70 XTR.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:44 pm
I have a M 70 XTR in .270 Win. circa 1980. It is very heavy, about 9 1/4 lbs. What ideas do you guys have as how I can loose at least 8 oz. off this rifle? It's topped with a Leupold VX-II 3X9X40 (11 oz), and has a one piece Redfield base. I know I can loose a few ounces by getting a 2-piece scope base. The metal sights have been removed.

What else can you suggest, not too difficult solutions I can do myself? An obvious thing to me is the stock, which appears really big and thick, and with cheek piece. What lighter stocks of good quality might improve the weight. Would a featherweight stock fit this rifle?

If the stock is changed, is it likely the rifle may shoot differently? It shoots well with 150 gr Remington Core-Lokt round nose factory rounds (0.6 in at 100 yd). I haven't begun handload development yet.

Thanks in advance for your replies and ideas.

K
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...
20g
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:06 pm
Welcome to the Winchester site Kevin.

You will probably receive input toward your concerns.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:23 am
Absolutely changing a stock will effect it some, some more than others, and some none even. Some will disagree but that's my experience in swapping stocks. Also amount of recoil being felt can be worse or even less especially with lighter stocks. Just my 2 cents and your mileage may vary. ;)
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to Winchester Model 70