New Member...help identifying Winchester

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:46 am
I have been offered a F class target rifle. It is built upon an old Winchester receiver. The seller says it is a model 70. The serial # is 35,XXX. The only original part is the reciever & possibly the bolt.

The stock is a high quality custom type with adjustable butt & comb. The barrel is a 32" stainless chambered in 6.5X284. It has the Mauser type extracter. The seller is a dealer & knows nothing about the rifle. It is currently wearing scope bases that remind me of Unertyl target mounts.

My question is is there an easy way to tell if this receiver is a model 54 or a pre-war Model 70? I think I've narrowed it down too one of those 2. He is asking 1,000$ for it. He won't allow any pulling it out of the stock or such.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 am
Welcome...

For that question...I will have to defer to the experts here.

So, hang tight...it is summer and some members are away on vacation.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:58 pm
Thanks, I'll wait. I asked the dealer what he knew about it. His reply was "Its pretty, it's heavy, it's red & it's yours for 1,000$. :D I guess he's honest. I ought to just buy it, I'm pretty sure it's worth the price whichever one it is. I offered him 850, but he's standing firm. ;)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:19 pm
Tell him $950 then act like thats all the $$ you have in the world...

He'll take it... and you'll still have $50 in your pocket.

It's not like people are pounding on his door... Right !? :mrgreen:

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm
Ill try that. :D
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:25 pm
Yea...I think that $850 was too low ball...too far from that $1000.00

$950 should do it.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:30 pm
Yea, probably, I was being cautious with my offer because I don't really know exactly what it is. A 6.5X284 target rifle goes through barrels pretty quick also & this one could be already over the hill. But with 32" I could set it back an inch if it's burnt out & still have plenty of length. Actually though, I don't think he realises it is a pre-64. I think he is pricing it for a post 64. ;)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 am
Copy...good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:57 pm
Pretty easy to distinguish between UNALTERED Models 70 and 54 actions. A prominent difference is that the 54 has a blind magazine and one piece stamped trigger guard - floorplate. The 70 has a forged bottom metal assembly with detachable floorplate. The caveat, it would be possible to adapt Model 70 bottom metal to the 54. Just largely impractical!

Next the method of bolt remover from receiver. The Model 54, by holding the trigger rearward while sliding the bolt out. The 70, a vertical projection just aft of the left receiver bridge which is depressed as the bolt is removed.

There are a whole variety of detail differences between the models, but the above are perhaps the most useful ones in your case. You should be able to find ample photos of these rifles. The referenced serial number could be either rifle. The aside that at a 1K price, any dealer worth his salt would have sufficient background on such a rifle on his shelf, even if a descriptive document from the seller.

Personally, I'd move on!
Just my take

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 am
Too late baby, now it's too late. For better or worse, I bought it.

The bottom metal is aftermarket stainless with a stainless competition trigger. Not really much to it, just a forged or machined from bar stock more likely trigger guard, it has no magazine or floorplate. It's a single shot now. The seller was Cabelas. Yesterday a different salesmen that I've dealt with before was working, he still didn't know anything though, but after my military discount I got it for $816.

The bolt comes out by depressing a projection on the left rear of the receiver. I'm pretty sure it's a pre-war Model 70, the only thing throwing me off was the safety, which is different than my previous 1958 model, which by the way isn't working right. I was off 1 digit on the serial #. It's 34,3XX. I'm hoping the problem with the safety is the trigger is just adjusted too light (ounces), haven't had time too dig in too it yet. If it's on safe & you pull the trigger, then put the safety on fire, it fires. I much preferred the safety on my post war Model 70.

The barrel appears heavily copper fouled so that's gonna need some cleaning before I can visually assess it. I'm not even sure it's really a 6.5X284 as the hang tag from Cabelas says. The barrel is stamped 6.5X224 CB??? I'm hoping that's a typo from whoever stamped it?

Thanks for all the help & advice so far.

PS A safety isn't a big deal on a pure target rifle such as this. It's not used. The bolt is kept open until commencing fire, then cartridges are loaded 1 at a time & fired. Still I will repair it before use as I don't really plan on using it as a competition rifle anymore, just an old retired target shooters range toy. I might even restore it too repeater condition, but 6.5X284 can be difficult to function as a repeater. I'll take some pics this weekend but I'm no computer whiz at posting them, I'll try.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:36 am
Congrats on the "military" price...better than the $1000.00 tag

Thank God the other stubborn gent didn't wait on you....

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 pm
Yea, this salesman was better than the 1st one. I think I did ok on the price. I'd guess the stock alone probably cost about 500$ when new. It's got an Anshutz rail, adjustable comb, aluminum buttplate spacers & stainless bag slider. If the barrel is good & in the correct caliber, I got a deal. Anyone know if a post-war safety will fit?

PS I don't think they realised it was a pre-64. Neither salesman or the hang tag mentioned it. Just Model 70 Winchester target rifle. Maybe when they've been modified as much as this one it doesn't matter. Really a push feed would probably make a better target rifle.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 pm
Out of curiosity I searched for a 6.5X224 CB and could not find that cartridge. It could be a 6.5X264 though. Good luck and let us know what it ends up being, then enjoy it!
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

Return to Winchester Model 70