Winchester Model 70 Reviews

Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:18 pm
WINCHESTER MODEL 70 SAFARI EXPRESS, 375 H&H MAG.
http://www.impactguns.com/winchester-model-70-safari-express-375-hh-mag-535116161-048702118159.aspx
IDEAL FOR ANY AFRICAN HUNT. The new Model 70 Safari Express in a matte blued finish is the perfect choice for your once-in-a-lifetime hunt because it’s built to handle the heavy cartridges necessary to take dangerous game. Important details like the Pre-’64 type claw extractor, Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, barrel band front swivel base, hooded-blade front sight and express-style rear sight make the Safari Express ideal for any African hunt. The dual recoil lugs and two steel stock reinforcing crossbolts handle the punishment from heavy magnum loads. The time-tested Three-Position Safety has been a hallmark of the Model 70 for decades. The secure hex socket action screws won’t snag on clothing, and the one-piece steel trigger guard helps maintain rigidity and provides added strength. The handsome cheekpiece positions your eye instantly and firmly on target. Flip open the flush-mounted, hinged steel magazine floorplate for fast and easy unloading. Large calibers are available, making the Model 70 Safari Express the finest big game rifle in the world.
The most respected bolt-action rifle in the world. The Model 70 remains the All-American rifleman’s rifle. It has always been a rifle for the ages, and today’s new Model 70 is the bolt-action rifle for the future. Experience for yourself the precision, accuracy and unparalleled performance this rifle has to offer.

Today’s Model 70 has the all new M.O.A. Trigger System, improved fit and finish and enhanced accuracy to go along with its classic Pre-’64 controlled round feeding, Three-Position Safety and solid, sure handling. The M.O.A. Trigger helps the model 70 deliver the extreme accuracy benchmark 1" group at 100 yards. It’s what you deserve in your rifle.

Three Position Safety
Convenient to operate with the thumb of the firing hand, the Model 70 safety design lifts the firing pin away from the sear. When the safety selector is in the middle position, the action can still be operated, allowing unfired cartridges to be cycled with the safety on. It is smooth to engage and easily identifies the safety status of the rifle.

M.O.A. Trigger System
Zero Take Up
Take up is the distance the triggerpiece travels prior to the sear moving toward release and the shooter feeling resistance. The M.O.A. Trigger System has no take up because the take up spring keeps the triggerpiece in constant contact with the actuator. Unlike competitors’ designs, the unique geometry of the M.O.A. pre-loads the entire trigger system to bias-out normal manufacturing tolerances.

Zero Creep
Creep is the perceptible movement of the trigger prior to the release of the firing pin or striker and has a negative influence on accuracy because it causes inconsistency and uncertainty during the pull of the trigger. This contributes to jerking the trigger, thus adding to the movement of the gun during firing. The 2:1 mechanical advantage created by the trigger design’s unique geometry is how creep has been virtually eliminated in the Model 70 M.O.A. Trigger.

Zero OverTravel
Overtravel is the rearward movement of the trigger after the firing pin or striker has been released. It can actually jar the gun away from its intended point of aim and is also very distracting to the shooter. The Model 70 M.O.A. Trigger System is set at the factory to have no perceptible overtravel. Where you aim is where you shoot.
Made in the U.S.A. with ISO 9001 Quality
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:28 pm
The Model 70 Is Back in Action!
Winchester announces the return of the Model 70 for 2008, and we've got the lowdown on what's new and improved
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/centerfire/2007/10/model-70-back-action
When Winchester shut down it's New Haven plant a year and a half ago it spelled the end of two iconic firearms, the Model 94 and the "Rifleman's Rifle," the Model 70.

Since that day, there has been massive speculation about when (not really if) those two firearms would come back into production.

As of today, the Winchester Model 70 is back and the biggest news is that it is being made in the United States-not overseas as many had prognosticated-in a factory down in Columbia, South Carolina that makes machine guns and sniper rifles for the military. I got to spend a day at the range with the new Model 70 at its unveiling and came away with the following impressions:

New Trigger
The most notable feature on the new Model 70 is its new trigger, one that is adjustable down to 3 pounds, though the triggers will come preset from the factory with a 3 3/4 pound pull. (If a heavier trigger pull is your thing you can set it to break up to a maximum of 5 pounds.)

The trigger itself is a simple thing, incorporating just three pieces. Winchester calls the trigger the M.O.A., rightly linking the need for a good performing rifle to have a good trigger, which the M.O.A. certainly is.

As the illustration shows, the actual trigger, called the "trigger piece" by Winchester, is a lever that bears against a pivot-or "actuator"-that supports the sear, which in turn retains the firing pin. As the trigger pushes against the actuator, the actuator moves out of engagement with the sear. The sear then drops, allowing the firing pin to travel forward. Simple.

One benefit of this design is that there is zero takeup in the system. Likewise, while there is a certain amount of creep and overtravel-you need both for a mechanical trigger to function-the perception on the part of the shooter is that there is none. You get nothing but a clean break when you pull the trigger. This trigger feels very, very good. And for shooters who find the addition of safety levers to the trigger itself unsightly-a la Savage Arm's AccuTrigger-the lines of the M.O.A. are neat and clean.

Barrels
Of course, the other major factor when it comes to achieving top accuracy is a quality barrel. The barrels on the Model 70s are cold-hammer forged, a process by which a billet of steel is molded around a mandrel at unbelievable pressures as it is stuck by a series of massive hammers. The mandrel has the rifling pattern on it and during the hammering process the lands and grooves are impressed into the interior surface of the barrel.

Guaranteed Accuracy
Do the rifles come with an accuracy guarantee? Yes. In its promotional material Winchester says, "you can expect 1 MOA accuracy for three-shot groups from your Model 70 using a properly managed barrel, quality match ammo and superior optics under ideal weather and range conditions."

My experience shooting the Model 70 with a variety of factory ammo at targets out past 300 yards indicates that shooters can expect top-notch accuracy.

Three-position Safety
The new Model 70 comes with a three-position safety that has been redesigned to be smoother and easier to operate. The way Winchester's engineers accomplished this boils down to this: When the gun is put on safe, the firing pin is moved out of contact with the sear. This is the way the old safeties worked too. What's different in the new design is that the firing pin needs to travel less to separate from the sear. Because the swing of the three-position safety is the same as it was before, and it is moving the firing pin less, it operates with greater mechanical advantage. Viola! A smoother operating safety.

Control-round Feed
The new Model 70s incorporate the pre-'64 style controlled-round feed.

Four Grades
The Model 70 will be introduced in four different trims-Featherweight Deluxe, Sporter Deluxe, Extreme Weather SS and the top-of-the-line Super Grade. For pricing and specs, see here.

The Super Grade comes stocked with better walnut that includes a cheek piece framed by a sculpted shadowline. It is available in two calibers. In .30-06 it comes with a 24-inch barrel and a published unscoped weight of 8 pounds. In .300 Win. Mag. the rifle has a 26-inch barrel and tips the scales at 8 1/4 pounds. The MSRP on the '06 is $1,149 while the .300 Mag. carries a suggested retail of $1,199.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 am
WR.jpg
My new winch & my Ruger#1 Tropical (sold) .375 H&H the both
WR.jpg (112.79 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

My new Winchester Safari Express cal .375 H&H
W70Se1.jpg
W70Se1.jpg (112.56 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

W70SE2.jpg
W70SE2.jpg (113.61 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 am
Others pics of my new Mod 70 Safari Express .375 H&H

WR5.jpg
WR5.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

W70SE3.jpg
W70SE3.jpg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

WR3.jpg
WR3.jpg (103.36 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am
Stocks Winch 70 Safari Express vs Ruger #1 Tropical

WR2.jpg
WR2.jpg (104.86 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

WR4.jpg
WR4.jpg (107.36 KiB) Viewed 88199 times

Ruger sold to buy The Winch , I keep the Hawke Scope 1.5-4.5 x24 illuminated.
Last edited by bebo on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 am
great looking guns you have there thanks for sharing them :)

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:43 pm
I love mine in 270 win a real tack driver
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm
We love the model 70. I just finished up my review of the gun you can read it at:

http://ireviewgear.com/cool-gear/winche ... fle-review

Very happy with my 2012 Winchester Model 70 FW, 300 WSM

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:48 pm
Does any one on here now where i can get a Model 70 308 Coyote Light please?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 pm
An interesting aspect of the Winchester Model 70 is the number of the most successful hunters using the rifle, the solid backing of dealers who rate it invariably higher than almost any other rifle, and an amazing amount of years as a very high quality built rifle. The most amazing shortfall in calibers is in one direction, lack of a really short action chambering in .223 Remington. From Featherweight to Super Grade the quality control, the workmanship, the out of the box accuracy is all amazing. I know of not one brand of rifle with this good a reputation as a solid rifle investment. Browning has been more innovative, and of course FN owns both companies. Both companies have also recently offered more budget oriented rifles which are good values. The Model 70 is pretty much the single rifle that gets either listed as one of the best current rifle offerings or severe criticism is leveled at any reviewer who overlooks The Riflemans Rifle!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 pm
The Model 70 Featherweight already has a review that I cannot possibly top so I'll simply give my first day out observations. Mine is in 30-06 which some will say, along with the 270 are the most reliable and common hunting rounds in the world. I have shot 30-06 rifles all my life. A few were Model 70's but I've also owned others including Weatherby. The Weatherby was probably my proudest possession but I could miss a buck with it just as easily as I could with the Model 70.

Today's 2018 Model 70 is every bit as good as the pre-64 model thanks to Browning stepping up to the plate and FN Herstal understanding what a great rifle it is. The pre-64 moniker is set in stone and I don't expect those rifles to loose any of their over inflated values so don't sweat that. Just know, that sooner or later, people will figure it out and only the truly rare rifles will hold their value.

So on the first day out, with only a mediocre bore sighting in my garage, at 25 yards I shot 6 rounds in the bull and 3 of those went through the same holes previously shot. Needless to say, 25 yards is hardly a good test but when you only expect to be on the paper, being dead nuts on impressed the heck out of me. I moved out to 100 yards and shot 2.5 inches high but the windage was good so a few clicks and few more rounds and I shot sub MOA with ease. In fact, I was having so much fun I went throgh 24 rounds before I knew it. Well, actually I did know it because I stopped to clean the barrel twice which is just a habit I have with new rifles.

So my only dilemma now is this. Winchester said it would shoot MOA, in fact they say the trigger is a MOA trigger but mine shoots sub MOA, should I send it back and have them fix it? :D

While I'm on the trigger subject, that trigger sure feels like a Timney or an Elfman. I wonder... Hum.. Mine is glass break and at least at nice as my buddies Tikka.

Overall, I'm giving it 5 Stars and I would definitely recommend this product to my best friend.

Return to Winchester Model 70