Pre 64 gun value

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:59 pm
I recently bought an unfired model 70 made in 1949 according to the internet dates. It a really beautiful gun, with a better then average stock, quite fancy actually. It about 99% since it has some bluing wear around the sight and on the bolt where it was kept in a case. One small ding in the checkering on the area near the trigger guard. Other then that its perfect. I would add a pic but it says its too big to upload. Any idea of the value of this gun?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:25 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum XParaman !!

You failed to mention just about everything about it...the caliber, the barrel length, grade ( "with a better then average stock, quite fancy actually" ), if you have the original box and papers ( which adds 100% to the value ), if it has a metal or plastic buttplate, and of course the picture ( which you could shrink in size via a few different PC programs )...so, if you get that info together...along with pics of the dings, barrel markings, engravings, serial number, etc...I could provide a better answer.

BTW...how can you verify that it is unfired...?! Did you personally know the original owner / buy it from him ?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 pm
I tried to upload a picture but the software does not work on my new windows 7 computer. anyway, its all original and I bought it from a good friend who knew the original owner and bought it from him. The gun was a presentation gun to a GM big wig and has a stock that is not the standard run of the mill, its got some very beautiful light wood with almost tiger striping, I guess you could call it that. Its got the metal butt plate, and the only defects is a very small ding on the grip in the checkering, about the size of a bb. There is a small amount of rubbing blueing loss on the sight, it was kept in a gun case. Other then that its perfect. It was made in 1949 making it a transition gun. There are no drilling holes for sights, and its never had a scope mounted. It has the sight hood, and it has the three position safety, that is the early model. I will work on getting a picture sent, I will try and use my daughters computer.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:39 am
MOD70001 (256x171).jpg
picture of Pre 64 rifle
MOD70001 (256x171).jpg (104.17 KiB) Viewed 4774 times

Return to Winchester Model 70