Winchester Model SX-AR Review

Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:03 am
New Winchester SX-AR Autoloading Centerfire Rifle
[url]http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/10/15/new-winchester-sx-ar-autoloading-centerfire-rifle/
[/url]

I was very surprised when a reader email me about this new rifle from Winchester. The poor Browning BAR hunting rifle has been through yet another evolution and rebranding.

In early 2008 FN announced a tactical sniper rifle, the FNAR, based on the Browning BAR (FN owns both Browning and Winchester Arms). It added a detachable magazine, pistol grip and top, bottom and side picatinny rails.

The new SX-AR is a heavy barreled FNAR in a Mossy Oak camo finish but without the side rails and full length top rail (interestingly the bottom rail remains). It comes full circle, taking the tactical FNAR improvements back to the hunting market.
This rifle will have been developed to fight the new AR-10 based hunting rifles that have been coming into the market, for example, the Remington R-25. I suspect the reason it is being rebranded and marketed under Winchester, and not Browning, is so that the risk of the BAR being named in any Assault Weapon Ban (federal or state) is reduced. The Browning BAR can continue to be a "traditional" styled hunting rifle.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:13 am
Winchester Super X-AR Varmint Rifle
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:14 am
WInchester Model SX-Ar Summary:
The Winchester SX-AR .308 Varmint is made by FN for Winchester, this is a proven, reliable, platform. This gun sports a camoflauged stock and heavily coated camouflauge barrel. This finish is impenitrable.

Condition: This rifle is factory New in box and comes with all the goodies, the pictures are of the actual gun.

Uses: I can see this rifle as being a great marine/boat rifle, hunting rifle or farm gun. The heavy hitting .308 win is a great mid to long range caliber, and with the synthetic stock and durable coating, this gun wont rust on you. I would suggest a bi-pod for this rifle since the rear stock is so light that it makes the gun front heavy, especially with that bull barrel. The LOP and comb are adjustable Length of Pull sizes are 13 3/4" 14" 14 1/4" and sports a 20" crowned Bull Barrel.

Specifications:
* Gas operated semi-automatic rifle with Mossy Oak® Brush™ camouflage finish
* Precision machined receiver from 7075-T6 aircraft grade aluminum
* Match grade hammer forged chrome plated 20” Heavy Contour Barrel with recessed target crown
* Crisp trigger
* Ergonomic fully adjustable stock with textured pistol grip and fore-end grip
* Three interchangeable cheekpieces and recoil pads for different fit options
* Includes One 10 Round Detachable Box Magazine
* Ambidextrous magazine release
* Low friction magazine follower for smooth cartridge feeding
* Crossbolt safety
* MIL-STD 1913 bottom rail with integrated swivel stud for bipod and/or sling
* Available in 308 caliber
* Two-piece scope bases included
* Compatible with FNAR 20 round magazine (Order through FNH USA Distributor)

Return to Winchester Model SX-AR