Model 140 help

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:13 pm
I have a Winchester shotgun. It is a semi-auto, marked Ranger Model 140 12 gauge, 2-3/4" shells.
A while back, while hurriedly loading it, to fend off predators, from my farm, I loaded it with 3 shells, and I got ONE, that kicked much harder, than the others. In looking at some spent shells, on the ground, I found a single 3" spent shell. In looking in my ammo, I found a bunch of similar loose shells, marked as magnums.

In taking off the barrel, and just checking things, I see no damage. I have since fired it, several times, with the normal 2-3/4" #2 & #4 shot, that I normally keep on hand. No issues with functionalities.

So, I removed the barrel today, and thought I'd see if a 3" shell would fit. Lo, and behold, a 3" shell, fits fine. Is this normal? Is it safe to shoot 3" shells in my M140?

I'm not new to guns. I have been shooting, since 1969. But, until moving to this farm, my only experience, with shotguns, were the Ithaca 37's and Remington 870, riot guns, we used in police work. I am very unfamiliar with hunting shotguns. I would never think to try to force a rifle or pistol cartridge, into a gun that wouldn't fit, properly. And, if it doesn't belong, it won't fit. Apparently, this does not hold true, for shotguns. I do have a few boxes of 3" shells (not all Magnum loads) that I inherited, with this shotgun, from dad. It was his only shotgun. I'm guessing that 3" shells are okay to use in this gun. But, I do not want to be a statistic.

So, I'm asking for some help, from folks who likely know more than me. Help, please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:26 pm
I would contact Winchester Customer Service. They will answer any questions you may have be sure to have your serial number when you call they could probably send you a copy of a owners manual just for asking
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:29 pm
If you're asking me...just because you can does NOT mean you should.

Winchester marked the Model 140 Ranger as a 2 3/4"chamber...and that's the only size shell you should chamber in it.

You got lucky once...don't become that statistic !!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:17 am
A shotgun chamber length matches the shell case length in the "unfolded" fired state, that's why the 3" shells fit in a 2-3/4" chamber. Shotgun shells are shorter than their stated length until fired, just measure one before firing and after and you will see what I mean.
When a 3" shell fires in a 2-3/4" chamber, the ends of the plastic shell open against the forcing cone instead of the chamber. This ends up causing a slight barrel restriction that can result in increased pressure that can cause damage to you and your gun. 3" loads and magnums can be loaded at higher pressures than the 2-3/4" loads your chamber was designed for, combine these two things and you have a recipe for disaster.. Be thankful that you got away with it a few times without injury.
20g
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:07 am
Thanks for this post skinner. I was not aware of the way shells were measured for chambering.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 1300