Winchester Model 63

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 am
I am looking at about 8 differant 63's of all differant years. And I was just wondering if any one year or area is better then any other. They are all .22LR and 23 inch barrel. But a few 30's, 40's, and 50's. And is there any thing I just be on the lookout for or any thing that should be checked. They are all shooters so is it ok to still shot them. And what kind o ammo should I use. Use to shot my neighbors when I was a kid, and I am finally going to break down and by one. It is either a 63 or a new Browning SA 22. Is it the right choice? I only do a little plinking. Thanks.......
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 am
Whenever I am looking for a rifle that gives max increases on resale and collector value, I would normally opt for a pre-war model in good shape. They are always worth more than similar featured post war models in the same condition.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:56 pm
Thank you mr. Skinner. One question, are they both ok to use. I like shooting at revolving targets and plinking. Nothing fancy. And I wouldn't want to ruin any value or damage the rifle. Something I could shot and not go down in value is what I'm looking for. Are the newer better for shooting? Thanks....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 am
IMO, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to safely shoot a model 63, they are a very basic blow back action. If it has been cared for at all, you should be good to go... As with any newly purchased "previously owned" firearm, I would give it a thorough cleaning and inspection before firing it just to make sure there is nothintg out of the ordinary.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:12 pm
Inaworldoflint wrote:I am looking at about 8 differant 63's of all differant years. And I was just wondering if any one year or area is better then any other. They are all .22LR and 23 inch barrel. But a few 30's, 40's, and 50's. And is there any thing I just be on the lookout for or any thing that should be checked. They are all shooters so is it ok to still shot them. And what kind o ammo should I use. Use to shot my neighbors when I was a kid, and I am finally going to break down and by one. It is either a 63 or a new Browning SA 22. Is it the right choice? I only do a little plinking. Thanks.......

Way late to the party as usual but a late version with grooved receiver is gonna be the rarest. They only made them for a very short time right at the last ( 1958 I think ) so not that many of them .

Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun - Do Not Touch
20g
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 pm
Hi ya Eddie, welcome to the Winchester herd.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Eddie !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Read ALL the rules here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21

Enjoy our community.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:11 pm
Thanks Guys.
Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun - Do Not Touch

Return to Pre-64 Models