Questions about my 1949 Super Grade Model 70

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:28 pm
What are the definitive markings on a 1949 (Transition) Super Grade Model 70, other than the Super Grade marked floorplate?

Keith
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:40 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:41 am
As far as your question...I will defer to the membership, as I do not know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:50 am
Technically there are under-barrel markings. The matter is discussed in Roger Rule's seminal work "The Rifleman's Rifle". If you can't get a positive answer here, you should be able to obtain a copy of the Rule book through "Interlibrary Loan".
Yet there is another reality too. It's broader than just the Supergrade family. "It's the poorly concealed dark little secret of 'mix n' match'likely impacting much of the Pre-64 Model 70 design. Many as we see them today are mix-masters from the so-called 'all original guns they once were. Yet in most instances, if 'well stirred, not shaken' :) the point with humor, never to know. Far more than a few Supergrades will not exhibit such as the internal markings. Real Supergrades or not? Nowadays, if it quacks like a duck... That the mentality. Better that it otherwise look all original and pristine too if possible! There are a number of characteristics comprising the true Supergrade, but I fear only to a purist, the under-barrel markings required. Otherwise the 'essential' Supergrade more likely encountered.
So am I deferring on your question? Actually 'fudging'. Unequivocally... Yes! Get a copy of the Rule book and view the nuances. Yet the market has largely decided to ignore such markings. It's cast the decisive vote in most instances, for the cleanest, most original 'appearing' rifle consonant with 'not rocking the collector boat'. If all the visible ducks line up well and the condition is good; all else to be shoved aside
This is absolutely just my take and more a feature of the realistic situation I perceive. Others may differ.
Just my take!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:18 pm
iskra,
Your post is very informative. Thanks for taking the time to expound on this subject. Since I don't have the book "The Rifleman's Rifle" I've instead done some research on line to include other forums. The following was posted on one such forum by me:

I've gone to the Winchester Owners forums and researched it on line, but still cannot get a definitive list of those characteristics that set the pre-64 Super Grade apart, other than of course the floorplate stamped Super Grade. Here is a list based on my research but as some of you note it is not true in every case (and how often its true):
a. Wrap around stock checkering, grip cap, cheek piece and black forearm tip (always)
b. Steel buttplate (always except for some red recoil pads)
c. Date on barrel (always)
d. Underside of barrel/receiver hand stamped "SUPER" (Often but not always?)
e. Jeweled bolt and magazine follower (Mostly but not always)
f. Shape of front sight hood, slanted both front and back (mostly?)
g. Folding rear sight, starting in early 50's (always?)
h. Super Grade sling swivels (always)

If you can improve upon or further define/correct this list, please do so.

Keith

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:07 am
Keith . . I own a 1949 Model 70 Supergrade and read your list from a to h. .

Mine has the steel buttplate . . Date is on the barrel underside with "SUPER" there as well . . The bolt and mag follower are not jewelled, serial marked on bolt . . No folding rear site, the standard site commonly found on standard weight rifles. . The folding sites were commonly used on FWT's. . . S/G swivels and sling.
Without pulling the gun out and checking with Rules Book; the lettering font and dash on the floorplate has a bearing on manufacturing date as well. . .

One feature to note on the 1949 S/G, up around to 1952-53, is the small European style raised cheekpiece. You can justify the gun is correct with the small cheekpiece on a later gun but not the other way round. .
Another thing that comes to mind, again check Rules Book, is the diamond around the forearm screw. . There is more than one size and shape. . if i don't end this i'm going to be pulling the gun out and grabbing Rules Book. . Too late in the day for that so I'll leave it with you for now.

Rod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:33 pm
Keith please see my Thread under the "Model 70" Forum, entitled "Regarding Pre 64 Model 70 Originality Factors, aka:"
Not intended to answer specific questions within "Rule's" rules, rather to address what I term the "Real Politik".
iskra

Return to Pre-64 Models