nickel steel v/s winchester proof and steel shot

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:12 pm
I was told that when steel shot was mandated, Winchester released a statement saying that Model 12's with winchester proof steel was safe to shoot steel though BUT early nickel steel was too soft. Does anyone know if this is true or where i can find the truth.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:08 pm
The problem is the wall thickness of M12's. Even with screw in choke tubes when you restrict the bore the steel shot won't give like lead and can bulge the barrel. Cyl or IC should be ok.but unless you are shooting teal or wood duck. A 3" steel in a loose choke might be OK for up close work.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum gentlemen !!

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:48 am
I've never heard anything about being able to shoot steel out of them nor would I even try it. I have seen steel shot out of other non steel guns so maybe there's something to it.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:35 am
Google or Bing this: Winchester Model 12 nickel steel barrels to see the answers...you'll be surprised at all the different replies:

Like this old guy: "Every nickel steel barrel that was sent back for repairs were kept by Winchester claiming they were dangerous to shoot"

I would guess the percentage of nickel to steel would be the determining factor.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 am
I recently had a metalurgist at work test the shot in a Blind Side waterfowl shel and it is way softer than any barrel steel. It doesn't even register on Rockwell scale its on another lower scale. Now i cant say how hard other shot is, but i believe all steel shot is annealed and gun barrel steel is forged. but is you compare a Model 12/ 1897 or Older A-5 barrel's to a new 870 and the new one is thicker. just my 2 cents on what i found out.

Return to Winchester Model 12