Pre 64 Model 88 question

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:46 pm
I have just read a few posts on the M 88 and some writers make mention of their pre-64 pieces.

this topic probably has been covered ad nauseam, however I will ask/comment anyway.

Doesn't the entire pre-64 Winchester mystique only pertain to the Model 70 and especially its controlled round feeding. If so, then any ballyhoo about pre-64 Winchester other models is simply smoke.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am here to learn and share.

k
20g
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:03 pm
Some smoke. However, most every thing pre-64 is much better than post-64. Especially true of Winchester arms.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:11 am
If you think that Pre-64 "only" pertains to a Model 70 then you are missing out on a whole bunch of superior craftsmanship from a by gone era. Sure "post"-64 Winchesters are fine in their own right as well. But anyone in their right mind that would choose cast relievers over forged, pressed checkering over cut, just to name a few never grew up in the era of transition to see, feel and understand the reason why Pre-64s are the epitome of craftsmanship at Winchester.

And in as far as the Model 88 goes, in which I do own as first year 88, the stocks are the first thing that makes Post-64 88's undesirable to me. Then we can get into other issues such as as stated above as example on other models.

What questions are you wanting to know about the Pre-64 Model 88 specifically? I know a lot of folks look at the Model 94 or even older models such as the 73, 86, 92 as the best lever action ever made. Trust me I love them as much as anyone else too. But for myself being exposed to the Model 94 at a young age and then the Savage 99, and then the Model 88...well let's say the Model 88 to me was the cream.of the crop and I swore I would get one sooner or later and am looking at another one as we speak that I hope to obtain. Maybe it is better to say that the Model 88 in the modern era was the finest lever action made. Then again Savage 99 owners will begin to differ as well.

The only reason the Model 88 lost its appeal was the advent of belted magnum cartridges that were coming onto the scene that at that time was the newest biggest thing at the time. Of course this is my opinion and we all have our likes and dislikes and I liked email all!

Also welcome to the forum!
Last edited by ColdWarGrunt on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:33 am
Post 64 Model 88's only had cosmetic changes, the stock checkering being the most significant change. While some don't like the look of the post 64 impressed checkering, others prefer it. Plenty of other Winchester models from this time suffered far bigger changes that made them less desirable, however, post 64 88's are an exception to most of the "post 64" issues.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:48 pm
skinner-t wrote:Post 64 Model 88's only had cosmetic changes, the stock checkering being the most significant change. While some don't like the look of the post 64 impressed checkering, others prefer it. Plenty of other Winchester models from this time suffered far bigger changes that made them less desirable, however, post 64 88's are an exception to most of the "post 64" issues.

Skinner is correct the only significant change being the checkering going to pressed versus cut being only change between Pre and post Model 88's, as most changes internally were done prior to 1964, most being in the late 50's. They were also dropped from production in early 70's because they cost to much to manufacture as well and Winchester after 64 we're all about cutting costs in manufacturing. Another reason there is a big difference in craftsmanship and quality in my opinion. Again doesn't mean post 64s are junk by no means, just different manufacturing processes and manufacturing locations.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to Winchester Model 88