Sxp won't cycle

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:26 pm
So I bought a sxp the fun performed 3 years.flawless then the magazine throat broke one of the little clips that holds the trigger assembly in place. The trigger assembly drops about 2-3 mm and this keeps the gun from releasing shells from the magazine tube. after replacing the part winchester sent me a new gun. So this new gun has 300 rounds or less shot through it and the same part broke thus the gun won't release shells from the magazine tube I'm shooting winchester target loads through it. Has anyone else dealt this this.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:29 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Ppatel !!

Not familiar with this problem...are you sending the SXP back to Winchester...?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:05 am
Yes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:48 am
Keep us in the loop as to what repairs are made and if the same thing happens...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:35 am
I ordered an SXP last month, shot 60 cartridges through it and a lot of the 2nd shots didn't cycle, I put it down to being new or not liking the cartridges.
Anyway while I was cleaning I noticed the same issue! Took it back, they sent me a new one, checked it at the dealers and it had a crack in it in exactly the same place! I picked up 2nd replacement yesterday, all seemed good, shot it today again 60 shells through it, looking closely while cleaning and a crack has appeared, this time in the opposite corner! I'm not happy, I love the gun but I don't think I will be replacing it this time.

If there was a fix I would be happy to keep it!
.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:22 am
Could you post a closeup picture of the cracked part?
Regards,
arlen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps
.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
You might upload to Photobucket and then use that in your reply post.
Regards,
arlen

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:40 pm
Here's the pic.. This is the first one i sent back, The second was cracked in the same place, and now my current one is cracking the opposite side :(

http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/antt19/library/?view=recent
.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Is this part crack? or is it chipped out? If chipped out I would suspect a heat treating problem. The part may be too brittle for the shock that it is subjected to.
Regards,
arlen

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:48 am
This one was the first one which was chipped, which i noticed while cleaning after 60 cartridges, the 2nd i checked when i picked it up from the dealer didn't even shoot it and it had a crack in the same place, now the 3rd has started to crack in the same place on the opposite side after only 60 cartridges through it.

Know if the part is replaceable?? If not il be sending it back AGAIN :( but don't think i will get another...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 am
Hi,

I just started having this same issue with my SXP (8months old). I havent heard back from Winchester yet, did they come good on a 3rd shotgun for you? or did you find a fix?

I am tempted to JB Weld it in place and will just have to break it whenever I need to disassemble

thanks
TW

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 am
Hi, nope same issue with the third one! Didn’t get another, got a mossberg 590 instead, no probs with that one!!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm
I’m having this same issue with my SPX. Did anyone find out if this (magazine throat) is an owner replaceable part? Does Winchester cover this faulty part if it has to be sent in?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:43 am
We corresponded with a Winchester repair shop and this is the information they provided. "you need to remove the original mag tube by unscrewing it from the receiver, then pull the mag throat out from the receiver through the opening of the trigger housing. You then insert the new mag throat and screw the new mag tube in. BE CAREFUL to not bend the receiver when you clamp to hold it. " The replacement part is around $7. It took 1 guy to hold it flat on the counter and two guys to get the barrel to turn as it had lock tite on the threads and was a bit stiff to get to start turning. Once the barrel started to turn the rest was easy.

Return to Winchester SXP