MOD 92 mods

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:18 am
G'day folks,

I have a question. A short while ago I bought a Mod92, chambered in 44-40, made 1907, with the intent of giving it to my wife for a birthday present. The missis loves all to do with the Old West, especially John Wayne. So I thought it would be perfect. Wrong! Wasn't made before 1900!

Right, back to the search. Ended up finding one, same calibre, made in 1897. Happy wife.

I now have an extra Mod92. What to do with it! The rifle has seen some hard abuse over the years. The last owner used it as his Single Action rifle with black powder loads & cast pills. He'd sprayed the metalwork with black etch primer. The woodwork has several repairs & has been varnished. The bore is not exactly 100% either so I'm wondering what can be done with the rifle.

So I did a little research & am wondering if it is feasible to re-barrel and chamber for 44Special? This way I can leave things pretyy much as is but will have a slightly better designed case without the inherent problems of the 44-40.

Opinions?
I live with fear & danger every day. Some days I leave her to go and disarm IED's.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 am
Sounds feasible...but maybe a lot of work.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:14 pm
Hey Shooter, I'm curious, In what way / how is it a lot of work?
I would have thought that by sticking to 44cal & a case design of similar spec's I would be able to limit any major work.
With the 44Spl cartridge there shouldn't be any need to change the cartridge lifter nor magazine.
Granted I'm not gunsmith, but this is based on my understanding of the rifle and how it functions mechanically. If there is more indepth aspects that I'm not aware of, I'd appreciate your insight.

Thanks in advance.
I live with fear & danger every day. Some days I leave her to go and disarm IED's.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:47 am
Just sounds like a lot of work is all...an opinion...nothing to do with the why's and how's.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:39 am
Fair enough. Just thought there may have been a more indepth explanation.
I'm yet to have a good chat with a gunsmith about this cartridge change. Then I'll have a more thorough understanding of what has to happen.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm
Why not chamber it in .44 mag? You could still shoot specials in it.

If the barrel is shot, I would think a new barrel with the appropriate chamber would be all that is needed. Maybe some adjustments to the carrier to accommodate the longer cartridge

Return to Winchester Model 1892