Model 94 Cleaning

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:07 pm
Does anyone know a good tutorial for cleaning both angle and top eject pre 64 as well as newer model 94s >I really don't like taking the stock off the gun. Thank you

Gunner_D
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 pm
I would be interested in this as well to see what others are doing to clean their guns.
Ryan_________________________

Winchester 94 30-30 Win
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 pm
I have been cleaning my rifle since it was new, 29 years; I've never taken it apart to clean it... actually, I've never taken it apart for any reason.

I have always cleaned it from the muzzle. I bought my first complete rifle cleaning kit about 2 years ago, so my cleaning rod was a wooden dowel or a string with a patch tied to it.

That practice hasn't damaged the crown.

I clean the chamber and bore of carbon with bronze brushes and penetrating oil. I still use a wooden dowel rod as a push rod, all brushes and patches are applied in the muzzle. I'll run the brush down the bore 10 times, dipping the brush in the oil 3 times, then I'll let the oil sit for 10 or so minutes.

When my patches come out clean I used to clean for copper but it doesn't copper foul any more so there is no need. I will try every year or so just in case.

The chamber brush came from a army sniper kit, it is a plastic coated cable whereas a 308 chamber brush is attached. I usually just apply some oil to the brush and spin it in the chamber the whole length.

My bore and chamber looks as good as my new rifle.

It shoots sub-moa groups.

I'll finish by running a patch oiled with 10w30 down the bore to ward off rust, wipe the chamber with a 10w30 rag aided with a plastic tube, then wipe the action and other steel with the same oily rag. (I run a clean patch down the bore and wipe the chamber with a clean rag to remove the oil before shooting.)

Every 6 months or so I'll oil every part that pivots, slides or makes contact with another; then let drip to be wiped off the next day.

Seems to work for me.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:19 am
You stated

"I bought my first complete rifle cleaning kit about 2 years ago, so my cleaning rod was a wooden dowel or a string with a patch tied to it."

Your showing the bore i would like to see the metod and tools used Thank You
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:16 pm
GUNNER_D wrote:You stated

"I bought my first complete rifle cleaning kit about 2 years ago, so my cleaning rod was a wooden dowel or a string with a patch tied to it."

Your showing the bore i would like to see the metod and tools used Thank You

My real camera died so I only have a webcam and it doesn't work well enough to warrant use.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:35 pm
Here is the sniper cleaning kit I use. I only have the short cable along with some odds and ends.

Otis: SNIPER RIFLE CLEANING KIT

Good thing I didn't buy it, it is way too expensive!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:39 pm
Ok i never heard of that Sniper _I thought it was like the bore snake Thank you

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 pm
Picking up on that long-ago post, what's this community's opinion of the Boresnake for cleaning a '94? I'm thinking of getting one, if only because it should allow cleaning from the breach end rather than the muzzle (short of taking the whole shebang apart, that is).
Thanks,
fansnotes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:57 pm
You can just get a bore guide for your cleaning rod to protect the muzzle. The bore-snake is ok, but it isn't as good as a good brushing and patches with solvent and oil. I've used both methods, just prefer the rod with a bore guide for a good cleaning. I still use the bore-snake sometimes, its more compact than a rod and easier to take along while hunting for a week.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:11 pm
Well, before your alerting me to the "bore guide" (now on my shopping list), I was unaware of any such....
Is this a great site or what?!!
Thanks!
Bill B.

Return to Winchester Model 1894