Range results and Beggin'z for Stock selection help.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm
I've finally managed to get a load developed for my M70 (post-64) in 7mm Rem Mag. I'm exceedingly happy with the range results but it has exposed a serious flaw in the current combination.

So the load data (because everyone loves to harangue a handloader):

Norma cases, 154gn Hornady SST, 68.1gn H-1000, Federal MLRP, 2.485 TTL. Bullets seated to the front of the cannulure, no crimp.

I haven't gotten velocity data from it yet as I've just been shooting for group size while trying to stay up near the top of the charge spectrum. At 68.4gn I started to see the first sign of high pressure in the form of very slight primer cratering which was consistent across 5 rounds so I backed down 3 steps. The velocity difference from three tenths of a grain shouldn't be enough to say grace over.

Group sizes:
Winchester: .65", .11", .43". First group was a clean barrel, no fouling shots. 2nd group was after a 1-hour cool down. Third group was fired after a 20 minute cool-down. I fired a couple more sets but I shot those at rocks and debris while testing the scope tracking and mil-dot subtends.

So, while I was shooting I noticed that the stock was flatly uncomfortable as it's way too thin in the cheek rest (or lack thereof) and in the fore-end. That made it very difficult to keep a consistent cheek weld and would have ruined any effort to go out to 1000+yards which is the destiny of the gun.

I'm looking around for a proper stock for it and thought I'd seek some advice from the wrecking crew. Something affordable (so no 1800 dollar chassis systems with tacti-cool sounding names), high quality, nice looking and physically proportioned to deal with very long range shooting from bipod and bench. It'll need to have a good wide fore-end and a cheek rest intended for a scope that's slightly higher up than a typical hunting scope/rifle combo.

What I've seen: B&C, McMillan, HS Precision, Boyds, Richards and junk. I like Richards stocks and will probably end up trading my time for their lower cost of entry. I don't mind a 500 dollar stock but the value for the cash has to be there. I don't need all the tacti-cool whiz-bang stuff. If I can end up with something resembling an M40A3 stock then that'll do just right but if it looks more like a M24 SWS then that's fine.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm
there's also the option of making a kydex cheek piece which would allow for it to be (ick) adjustable. I usually prefer non-adjustable things that are fitted to me. I could just as easily make a kydex fore-end piece that's wider than the factory stock.

For those that care the combo is: M70 long action, Bushnell ET1040 10x mil-dot scope, factory stock, 26" Shilen heavy magnum taper barrel, EGW 20MOA base, Burris signature series Zee rings w/ 25MOA in the rings. The scope sits 28 MOA off the bottom as it sits but I'll probably pull the 5MOA ring insert and replace it with a 20MOA insert so I can have the other 15MOA of elevation. As it sits without doing that I have in theory enough up left to go out to 1500yrds which I consider the maximum range of this setup so I'm just as likely to leave the optics and mounts and rings as they sit.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum r3dn3ck !!

Return to Winchester Model 70