What eye protection do you use for competition shooting?

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:14 pm
What eye protection do you use for competition shooting?
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Max Michel Signature Series Sawfly
Typically reserved for Max himself, Signature Series eyepro kits from the champion shooter’s private stock are available for your purchase. The Max Michel Signature Series Sawfly Eyewear Kit features a custom high-contrast Mocha lens and is the exact kit that Max brings with him on competition day. All 4 performance-enhancing lenses are laser etched with Max’s signature “MM” logo.
http://www.revisioneyewear.com/store/ma ... ichel.html

I am thinking about picking up this set.
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:31 pm
Revision Military Max Michael Signature Series Sawfly

These are hands down one of the nicest sets of shooting glasses on the market!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 am
HA...Great minds think alike Doc...may I recommend this site ( the owner is a disabled vet )

SAWFLY Essential Kit .......$80....... http://bottomline2000.com/sawflyessentialkit.aspx

SPECS.... 8-)

•High-impact protection certified to ANSI Z87.1 and Military Requirements
(MIL-V-43511C clause 3.5.10 and MIL-PRF-31013 clause 3.5.1.1).

•Optically correct curved lens for unrestricted field-of-view.

•Interchangeable lenses for various light conditions and specialty lenses available.

•Polycarbonate lenses offer 100% protection from UV-A, UV-B and UV-C rays.

•Two sizes with adjustable arms ensure perfect fit.

•Optional Prescription (Rx) Carrier available.

U.S. Army Authorized Protective Eyewear List.

http://www.revisioneyewear.com/download ... _Sheet.pdf

=============================================================

...and BTW Doc....Nice Pics !!

=============================================================
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:18 pm
How much of a difference does it make wearing glasses? and if so is it worth spending the money for the big name brand ones?
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm
It can make a world of difference in the right settings. I definitely live by the you get what you pay for with some exceptions so I would recommend buying a nice pair the first time around with interchangeable lenses.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:59 pm
I will second that reply...then add...what is your vision worth to you !! :geek:
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 pm
Shooter i really didn't even think about that, but that is very true you only get two eyes. once there gone you can kiss shooting goodbye.

Doc i completely agree with "you get what you pay for", with my experiences so far with buying not only guns and gun accessories but with everyday things if you go for the cheaper and poop quality stuff that you will regret it in the long run.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm
Those glasses are great for shooting when reaction time and targets set at different positions. For bench work I prefer plain safety glasses with blinders.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:26 am
I am someone who goes to the range to shoot sporting clays about once a month, is it worth the $180 for the glasses?
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:12 pm
It depends on how many different ranges you go to because you may not need all the different lens options but to me it is definitely worth it if you can afford it.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 am
I think i will have to get a pair next spring, Im going back to school shortly and wont have much time to go to the range.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 am
You won't regret getting a pair of Revision Sawflys!
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:56 pm
http://www.gundogsonline.com/Proshop/St ... Colors.asp

Today's shooting glasses come in many different lens colors from clear to vermillion. Below is a guide for choosing lens colors for different sky conditions, target colors and backgrounds.

Recommended Lenses for Shooting Glasses - Low Light Conditions

Clear - Best for poor lighting and shooting indoors when no contrast is needed. Also, an excellent safety lens when hand loading.

Pale Yellow - The lens has a brightening effect in low light conditions, dusk or dawn. A very light color tint allows this lens to be used indoors, outdoors, in flat light or at night.

Yellow - Great lens choice for overcast foggy days or late afternoon. Good lens for rifle or pistol shooting with black and white targets. Can be used while shooting at an indoor range.

Medium Yellow - Maximum enhancement of orange clay targets in low light conditions.

Recommended Lenses for Shooting Glasses - Average Light Conditions

Sunset Orange - Ideal for bright, hazy conditions. Slightly darker than orange, helps absorb scattered blue light and provides contrast. Also, enhances visual acuity.

Orange - Excellent all around lens for orange clay targets. Enhances the orange of any target on dull cloudy days, and at dusk or dawn.

Vermillion - Traditional choice for shooting against green backgrounds. Highlights conditions where there is a poor background. Highlights orange and dampens green. Good lens for those who see orange targets poorly.

Light Purple - This lens provides excellent contrast of orange targets against green backgrounds or against the sky. Combines grey and vermillion. It dampens the green and enhances the orange target against trees.

Recommended Lenses for Shooting Glasses - Intense Light Conditions

Deep Purple - Darker than Purple- this lens is a good choice for very bright sunlight and provides great contrast of orange targets against a deep blue sky. An excellent lens for glare reduction.

Brown - This lens reduces brightness and gives good definition of orange targets. A good all around lens for shooting orange targets on bright glaring days with open background.

Bronze - Offers high contrast for bright, glaring days with open background. Good choice for hunting in snow conditions.

Grey - Reduces light and transmits all colors at the same level. Does not enhance orange targets. Use in bright sunlight. Popular choice for rifle or pistol shooters.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:03 pm

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:12 pm
A HEADS UP on eye protection.I was shooting at the range one day and had my spent 45 Auto brass eject from my awesome SW99 hitting the partisan from the wall between the shooting booths and landing between my glasses and lower eye lid,not much skin there so from now on I where a hat with a visor, Oh yes and shooting glasses :roll:
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:50 am
Bump
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:15 am
Well, I guess I'll throw in my two cents.
I shot ATA , NSSA, and NSCA for many years as well as a lot of targets at local clubs. If you are a semi-serious or serious clay target shooter, glasses make a huge difference. The different colors used are designed to make the target more visible against the background, thus the reason for so many different colors. If you attend some of the larger shoots, there will be vendors that will have demos that you can try. If you buy glasses and need a prescription, try and avoid the temptation to get bifocals (if you need them). This is a needless expense and complication to what should be a single purpose item.
I have always used Decot Hy Wyd's as the company has fantastic customer service, great quality, and are at most of the larger shoots. There are a lot more makes of glasses available that you may prefer.
If you're a casual shooter, the investment in expensive glasses may not make a lot of sense, but everyone should ALWAYS wear eye and ear protection.
If some is good and more is better, then too much must be just enough.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:42 pm
I have my eye doctor make my prescription lenses impact resistant and polarized. Great vision and UV protection. Simple, as I hate contact lenses. My insurance covers one pair a year in this configuration.

KISS method for me…

Kevin

Return to Competition Shooting